Outside of software engineering, my interests include photography, infrastructure (cities, trains, container ships, bridges, skyscrapers, trucks, cranes, tractors, lighthouses), Lego, cinema, science fiction (Star Trek and Star Wars), nature, and hiking.
- FreeBSD Ports - I maintain a number of ports in the FreeBSD Ports Collection. I am also working on maintaining packages for other Unix and Linux distributions including Debian/Ubuntu, OpenBSD, and NetBSD pkgsrc.
- dtpstree - A command line utility written in C++ that shows running processes as a tree on modern BSD Unix systems.
- dtflickr - A Python library for accessing the Flickr API.
- Unicode Holiday Xmas Tree - A web application written in Python and Django that allows you to decorate, save, and send your own Unicode-based holiday greeting.
- Eat Places - A web application written in Python and Django that lists which restaurants are open around Santa Barbara when you want to eat.
- SSH Handler - A program that handles SSH URIs like
- flickrlicense - A thingy to update Flickr photo licenses.
- RightScale (July 2011-present) - Senior Software Engineer
- I am currently a technical leader on the RightLink team working on the development and testing of RightLink 10, RightScale’s server agent that connects servers managed through RightScale to the RightScale cloud management platform for both Linux and Windows servers.
- I was previously a technical leader on the Linux ServerTemplate team working on development and testing of RightScale’s Chef and RightScript based ServerTemplates which provide a reference implementation for deploying a 3 tier web application using RightScale’s cloud management platform using servers running technologies such as HAproxy, Apache, PHP, Ruby on Rails, Phusion Passenger, Apache Tomcat, Django, Memcached, MySQL, and PostgreSQL. These ServerTemplates are able to run on multiple clouds including Amazon EC2, Google Compute Engine, Microsoft Azure, Rackspace, Openstack, and others with capabilities for automated database backup and replication using the clouds’ volume storage offerings.
- Throughout my tenure at RightScale I have worked on internal tools and project including those built during company hackathons that have been used on my teams as well as released in other parts of the RightScale platform.
- SaurikIT (November 2009 - February 2011)
- Built a library to parse the OpenStep Property Lists used for internationalization and other purposes in Mac OS X and iOS. It was used in the backends for Cydia and Cyrket.
- Cycript (pronounced “sssscript”) - Converted the build system to Autoconf/Libtool focusing on targeting iPhone, Mac OS X, Linux, and FreeBSD.
- The Okori Group (June 2006 - April 2010) - Now called Opus Logica
- U.S. Department of Energy, Special Technologies Laboratory - Worked on a team building sensor command and control software based on NASA World Wind.
- 4DK Technologies - Built BlackBerry and Android components of the SCamp platform and other proof of concept software while working on a team focusing on other mobile platforms (iPhone and Windows Mobile).
- Bosch/ETAS/Vetronix - Built an automated testing framework in Python for the Virtual MasterTech on the MasterTech VCI diagnostic system.
- LinkedIn - Résumé and connections.
- Pinboard - Bookmarks of interesting articles, documentation, and websites.
- Twitter - Status updates and general commentary on the world.
- Instagram - Pictures of things I find in the world around me.
- Flickr - More pictures of things I find in the world around me.
- GitHub - Open source contributions and projects in the form of Git repositories and forks.
- Fuelly - Tracking the gas mileage of my vehicles.
- Pinterest - Things I find interesting.